Controling Dehumidifier

For this I would specify a minim on time for the output in the pid controler so that the problem cannot arise in the first place would be my solution now

Might it be easier to “hack” the physical switch on your dehumidifier so that it is in an “always on” state? That way Mycodo only needs to control the relay for the outlet your device is plugged into.
This is why I try to avoid appliances with “soft switches”… you can’t turn them on just by switching on the outlet they are plugged into, and when you turn them off (or they lose power), they “forget” that they were turned on.
Like Kyle said, without some kind of closed-loop monitoring of the on/off state of the device, you’ll never be sure if the device is running or not.
Seems like it might be easier to hack the physical switch/electronics in the device than figuring out a custom coding solution.

1 Like

I have chosen a deshumidifier with a physical switch in order not to get this problem :wink:

I’ve been using the method for years now, but somethimes i have problem because my relay is “sticking” and deshumidifier doesn’t stop. I found a way to avoid that but i was thinking maybe “upgrade” my set up with a “real” PID/PWM control of the peltier plates.

I think this will give a much constant moisture and could be better for the hardware

I plan to modifie the deshumidifier to get the “cooling fan” always on, and directly control the peltier with PWM by the use of a cheap “Brushed RC ESC”.

What do you think about that?

Thanks

Hello and first of all thank you for looking at my problem.
Modifying the hardware so that my dehumidifier is always on would work, but my problem with that is that the automatic switch-off function when overheating and when the water tank is full no longer works.
The thing with the Peltier Plates sounds interesting at first, but it’s also a lot of tinkering and here I would be careful with things like cheap RC ESC and stuff like that because it’s supposed to run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
First of all I can deal with the custom code that is already here and otherwise I now have a reason to deal with programming

Mine is wrking since years now and, of course i also need to keep it working 24/7 correctly.

I’m not scared about RC ESC quality, peltier module is not really big, it should not get too hot.

About the water level sensor, on mine it’s just a simple switch (and i saw another one where it is just plate in water). I was thinging of using it between the ESC and the peltier, so when water is full, it cut the peltier power.
For the overheating, i’m not sure mine got one.