Gmail alternatives

Hey there,

My problem goes a bit back but I needed to e-mail notifications once more in Mycodo. Since May, I cannot use Google and looking for alternatives of it as 3rd party email apps.

Google says that To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022 , ​​Google no longer supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Any alternatives that you would suggest for e-mail notifications?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I found Postmark but wasn’t successful for the test mail in Mycodo although its API works. I tested it with the curl command.

I found Sendinblue as an SMTP alternative to Gmail. Other solutions are also welcome.

1 Like

I’d be willing to try to get Gmail support back using their more secure login method(s), but I’m just not familiar enough with email/Gmail authentication. I’m on vacation until a bit after New Years, but if anyone wants to help by looking up any current Python libraries or methods to authenticate with Gmail using Python, I’ll see if I can apply it to Mycodo’s email notification system.

1 Like

I may look into it in my free time. Let you know if I would find something.

I’ve been looking at Zoho as an option. Their base plan is $1 a month. Zoho Mail Pricing & Editions - Free for 5 Users

1 Like

Hi,
i use gmail with RPi 4 and Zero and Mycodo.
I your gmail account you have the tab security and signing in to Google.
You can specifiy an App passwords that you must copy in your configuration mail.

I couldn’t follow what you mean by this.

1 Like

Yes this is the link from google to do this : Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

In my RPI i use msmtp and in the configuration file in /etc/msmtp
you need to specify the new app password that you have created in the app password on your google account

1 Like

Hey, is there an update on this?

“In the future, there will be more notification options added to Mycodo, such as Discord, Slack, SMS, Twitter, and other methods.” @KyleGabriel

Thanks a lot!
Krusher

1 Like