Mycodo performance on Raspberry Pi Zero

Hey there,

I am aware that Mycodo can run over Pi Zero to 4. But I wonder the performance of Mycodo in Pi Zero. Is there anyone used Mycodo in Pi Zero?

Thanks in advance.

It’s very slow to use the UI, but it will work. I’d recommend the Pi Zero 2 over the first gen. Also, setting everything up on a Pi 3 or 4, then exporting the settings to import on the Zero can save a lot of time.

2 Likes

@anu I had the exact same question. Kyle’s answer is completely correct.

The hardware shakes out entirely as you would expect.

• Pi Zero - Painfully Slow
  • Pi Zero 2 W - Much better. Usable, but still pretty slow
  • Pi 4 Wireless - Fantastic
  • Pi 4 Ethernet - Best in Breed

If you have your choice, go with a Pi 3 or better with a full sized breakout board. That one has LEDs to make diagnosing problems even easier.

The size of the compact breakout can be problematic with ferruled wires. (Yes, you can still use the bigger breakout board with a Pi Zero. It’s just wonky because of the size difference.)

2 Likes

After using zero for a couple of weeks indeed it proved unusable, quite frustrating, slow, and unresponsive. However, after switching to zero 2 I barely notice any difference compared with 4B for example. Got the lite OS 32b, running mosquito broker too, and still is more than workable. Best price/performance ratio so far.

3 Likes

Hi,

So I checked and the current generation for the Raspberry Pi Zero is still the “Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W” (released 2021, and based on the Raspberry Pi 3 - and appears to be 64-bit capable)

Raspberry Pi 4’s still seem to be hard to get, but possibly the Zero 2 W might be easier to find stock for.

Has anyone tried a recent build of MyCodo on the Zero 2 W model? Is it usable nowadays?

Would the Dockerised version of MyCodo run on a Zero 2 W?

Would 64-bit OS run better somehow?

If you could choose between say, the older Raspberry Pi 3 vs a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, which would you pick today?

(From LaserGecko’s post above, if I’m reading it right, he’s saying that as of mid-2022, MyCodo on the Zero 2 W was still slow, and the same Raspberry Pi 4 running over either wifi or Ethernet was much better - not sure if there’s been performance changes since).

Thanks,
Victor

Let us know how would Zero 2 W perform if you try it in the near future :slight_smile: Internet access on Pi 4 is a big plus if you think to control your system remotely, otherwise 2 W can catch the needs unless you don’t use many i/o ports. I also don’t know if any option exists in terms of extending the gpio ports if you would need more components.