Mycodo with ESP32?

Hello,

I have a working setup using a ESP32 and various items like Atlas sensors, motor drivers etc.

Would it be possible to have Mycodo in a Docker and instead of using the RPI GPIO’s, use the ESP32 ones? Mainly because all my sensors/components are already wired to the ESP32 and would be great if I could connect the software to the ESP32 via WiFi or Ethernet?

I do have a RPI4 but would rather use the ESP32 as the central node.

Cheers

the esp32 is most likely not powerful enough for Mycodo to run on. i don’t think anyone has been successful here. what most people do is have sensors connected to esp32, then have the esp32 communicate with a Mycodo system over a network

2 Likes

@NIthalik thats exactly what I meant sorry! I do have a Pi 4 (4mb), Pi 3 B+ and GPIO extension board though and could use my different breakout boards for expansion.

One reason for asking was I have the Arduino Tentacle Shield Mk2 but am using a ESP32 with Uno form factor which I would like to relay the readings from and wanted to send the readings to the Pi.

if your part of the discord, there is a member there, lucideye. it looks like he has been quite successful at this using tasmoto, you might want to post in the hardware thread there

He’s also here on the forum as @Lucid3y3

1 Like

Hello, Just saw this thread pop up in my email. Yes, I am using “generic” ESP32 dev kit boards as WiFi sensor clusters. I am using Tasmota as the firmware, mostly because Tasmota is already setup to work with a wide variety of available sensors as well as relay boards, lights, and other devices… so very little if any coding is needed to get things up and going.

Tasmota also uses the MQTT protocol to communicate with other devices, which makes it fairly easy to integrate with Mycodo and other automation software (an MQTT broker like Mosquito is required). You can also use their API and Webhooks interfaces to communicate with the ESP32. There are a few caveats with using Tasmota as a remote WiFi sensor… the main one being that there is always going to be a lag between when the sensor takes a measurement, and when that measurement is actually recorded in the Mycodo database. Tasmota has a minimum of 10 seconds between measurements (teleperiod)… the teleperiod can be set from 10 seconds up to 3600 seconds. So if you need a system that has fast reaction times to environmental changes, a Tasmota-based WiFi sensor might not be the best option. If super-fast reaction times are not an issue, then WiFi sensors are sometimes easier to setup than a wired sensor. Mainly not having to worry so much about I2C coms issues due to cable length and EMI.
Here is a partial list of Tasmota-supported peripheral hardware…

Here is a list of supported Atlas peripherals…

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask and I will do my best to point you in the right direction :slight_smile: