On the topic of cameras - support for UVC?

Curious if this could be implemented? I bought a USB UVC camera but haven’t gotten it working (yet) in Mycodo. I am trying to add a second camera via USB and eventually a third to capture multiple angles.

1 Like

Can you provide a link to this camera?

4k Sony Imx179 No Distortion Usb Autofocus Webcam Otg Uvc Mini Industry Box Camera For Live Streaming Teaching Image Acquisition - Ip Camera - AliExpress ← this is the one I picked up. Common Sony sensor + UVC which is supposedly well supported for Linux. I really should bring it inside and try it on my desktop.
Quick edit: I grabbed it from the greenhouse. Pops up at /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input25 and the KDE Camera app picked it right up. Picture quality is okay and it’s amazingly responsive. VLC doesn’t want anything to do with it though (at least with defaults).

So the fswebcam or opencv libraries don’t work with it?

opencv says no device. fswebcam doesn’t like the nice long string for the device. uvcvideo is supposed to capture an image but nothing as of yet from the Pi.

are you sure that this is the right path of your device?

Not on the Pi but it was on my other Linux box. dmesg after plugging the camera in. No /dev/video*.
On the Pi it is: UC60 Video: UC60 Video as /devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/input/input7

Could you also share your output from the lsusb command on your Pi?

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:5805 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. UC60 Video

What method/library does this use to access the camera?

UVC. uvcvideo - LinuxTVWiki I guess it’s meant for video capture but it supports still image as well. If there other supported USB cameras then maybe it’s time for an HCL for cameras. I don’t see any options under the automation page for inputs and outputs.