Protect sensors in high humidity environments

Hello! First of all, since this is my first post I would like to thank all of you for creating this amazing community, your work is both inspiring and really helpful!

I’m working on a mushroom cultivation chamber and everything was working fine until the DHT22 detector saturated and stop working properly (now it always reads about 95% humidity). After that, I bought an SHT31 but i’m worried to damage this new sensor, so im willing to be more careful… How do you protect your sensors ? Are they supposed to work in >80% humidity enviroments for long periods of time? (about some months)

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Different sensors handle high humidity differently. For most humidity sensors, it’s not great to allow condensation (temperature drops below the dew point or you allow a humidifier to run unregulated). If condensation does occur, you can mitigate damage by using purified water in your humidifier, however this doesn’t prevent particles/spores/etc. in the air from contacting the water droplets that then condense on the sensor. Filters can also help. In any case, you’re likely to have to replace the sensor at some point. The DHT sensors are also not high quality, so likely any other sensor you use will yield better performance.

@Michel Get the Atlas EZO-HUM. It’s well worth the $45 to have something that is accurate and waterproof enough that you can submerge it.

2 Likes

Finally I bought the Atlas EZO-HUM and it’s working perfectly, thanks for your help!

1 Like

What’s the alternative recommendation for those of us who gets rammed from behind by shipping costs? :face_vomiting: Sorry for the necro.

You can use a different sensor or find a different vendor.

1 Like

Any website or seller charging that much for shipping such a small item is a scam and should be entirely avoided.

Everything on www.atlas-scientific.com has shipping costs that high for my country. :rofl: Avoided for sure.

They’re likely just relaying the shipping price that was quoted to them from the available shippers to the country you select. Have you priced shipping with other vendors for the EZO-HUM?

That might be the case. There’s a vendor in Norway for it I just found, but it’s too expensive to even consider for a small hobby project. I’ll just go with some cheaper Aliexpress sensors and see how that works. :grimacing:

I recently upgraded my sensors to the SHTC3 for my hydroponics system and SHT3X for an outdoor weather station.

The SHTC3 is un-shielded, but I added a homemade dust cover to help protect it a bit. So far it has been reading accurately and had no problems being in the humid environment of the hydroponics system.

The SHT3X I am using for the weather station came with a weather-resistant cover… this is what I would use in a more humid environment like a mushroom grow.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805529500322.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.59.65557LOB7LOB1G&algo_pvid=56acc4c3-7b2f-4807-a373-a8ab52fc369f&aem_p4p_detail=202310151255164007617314894820008954004&algo_exp_id=56acc4c3-7b2f-4807-a373-a8ab52fc369f-29&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!4.26!3.83!!!30.96!!%402103241116973997165072586e174a!12000034098821603!sea!US!0!AB&curPageLogUid=4o8oaIpH6LX4&search_p4p_id=202310151255164007617314894820008954004_30

The issue with buying from AliExpress is that you are most likely going to end up with a counterfeit sensor that isn’t properly calibrated. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve bought from Atlas Scientific multiple times, and wanted to clear some things up. Yes, it is crazy expensive to ship here to Australia.

I’m not happy with the high shipping prices - but it’s definitely not “a scam”.

They simply choose to use providers like FedEx, DHL, or UPS, and pick the 3-5 day international services. And of course, they’re not Amazon or eBay, and don’t seem to get discounted rates - just the standard high courier rates you or I probably get.

They don’t offer to ship via the slower national post (e.g. USPS) which might take say, 2-3 weeks. To be honest, I’m often not in a rush, and wouldn’t mind waiting 2-3 weeks.

So yes, not a scam, they just happen to only use premium couriers for international deliveries…

I’ve sometimes just used a friend in the US, who then forwards it via a slower service.