Will generic sensors and other parts work with Mycodo

Hi there!

I have come across mycodo about a week ago and now I’ve got a RPI running a new install sitting on my desk.
I 'm trying to set up a climate and water conditioning system for a grow room and am now wondering what are the best sources for all the sensors, pumps etc.
I see that Atlas scientific is quite the popular choice but also rather pricey and high shipping cost
if send to Thailand where I reside.
Has someone build a system using mainly generic parts from aliexpress or other sources?

1 Like

Yes, a lot of sensors are available in their generic version and will work with Mycodo.
I recommend DFRobot’s sensors to get started. They don’t have a great lifetime but they do the job and are easy to configure with Mycodo.
DFRobot pH probe
EC probe

1 Like

Thank you for the input!

Yes, “generic” versions of sensors will work, but their quality is often very poor and those sensors are often very inaccurate because they are not properly calibrated or tested before being shipped from the factory. It is usually better to pay a little extra for the name-brand sensors if you want a system that works correctly. There are other name brands besides Atlas… look at sensors from Seeed Studio, Adafruit, and Sparkfun.

1 Like