Light control (dimming)

Hey there.
I’m just thinking; is there is any way to use mycodo for light-control ?

I saw mycodo does support PWM (used for fans in that example) - which MeanWell drivers also has the ability for. But most people use a potentiometer for controlling LED drivers. But there are also digital potentiometers usable with arduino like the X9C103. So maybe could be also an option for mycodo?

Anyone knows whats the best way to control these drivers?

thanks

1 Like

The same PWM board I made to control fan speed can be used to control the light intensity of grow lights that have a PWM input. I’m using one of those boards right now to control the intensity of 4 AC Infinity LED grow lights. If your light can be controlled by resistance/potentiometer, there is one digital potentiomter already supported in Mycodo, the DS3502.

1 Like

@Em_Ka Hey man, late reply, but maybe it is of use for you
After a lot of researching i found a circuit that allows the generation of a 0-10v control signal. This signal is also what is used to control most LED drivers / HVAC equipment through a potentiometer. Maybe it is of use to you: Schematic: Using PWM to generate a 0-10v control signal

2 Likes

Hi Kyle, can you explain how you control the intensity of the AC Infinity lights? I don’t seem to find the spec of the PWM interface - i.e. voltage level, connector pin-out, etc.
Thanks a lot!

Hi. The boards I have at OSH Park ~ are used to convert a 3.3 volt PWM signal (from a Raspberry Pi or microcontroller) to a 10 volt PWM signal. This 10 volt signal is used to control the speed of fans and intensity of lights made by AC Infinity (and Terrabloom fans, and likely others, as 10 volt PWM is standard). The description on that page explains how to wire it for fans, but you only need to provide the 10 volt signal to the light for it to work. AC Infinity uses USB C as their interface, so you’ll need to use a USB C breakout board or cable and determine which pin is the control pin to connect the signal. I have a working system using this configuration and can tell you exactly what pin this is, once I return home.

That would be great, thanks a lot!

Here is the USB C breakout with VBus 10 volts from the light, GND, and D+ the 10 volt PWM signal to the light. These breakout boards can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096M2HQLK

1 Like